Sunday, August 23, 2009

Thought provoking post on "Reflective Twitter" from the POD list

Thoughts anyone?

Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:07:00 EDT

Reflection (or do you spell it reflexion?) - now there's an inspirational thought and one where I have to own up to a technological thought or two. Quite some time ago now I was discussing the concept of reflective log with a Math professor at a
residential (= boot camp). He had already sat through my standard lecture and the discussion in the bar got him no further until he turned to leave in order to go and contribute to his blog. That proved a turning point in the discussion.

However, I have some concerns about the directions that many of us are going with reflective logs or portfolios. A colleague of mine sought to improve students' reflection by providing a high degree of scaffolding - this improved the quality of the work that she received but I am concerned that the students merely responded to the questions provided and didn't actually reflect. I guess that over time we have to remove the scaffold and hope that the edifice retains the same quality.
--
Bland Tomkinson
University Adviser on Pedagogic Development
http://www.campus.manchester.ac.uk/pdo/meet/bland

Any views expressed in this email are personal to me and not necessarily those of the university.

No comments:

Post a Comment